Ludus Vitellus ~ The Reenactment SiteEdit
For more information on how you can become a Gladiator in real life, visit us online at Ludus Vitellus.
Enroll Your Virtual Gladiators and AnimalsEdit
How to Enroll: Have an entry or two or three for the next Ludi Munera Gladiatoria or Venationes games? Enroll your entries here. The Vitellian Gladiatorial School is now open for patronage by friends of the Vitellians. We are a privately-operated Nova Roma gladiator school for fictional characters of the Ludi. By entering your gladiators and animals, we will track your standings in the games. You will also be eligible for the coveted and prestigious Vitellian Gladiatorial School Award Palms and Victory Banners. If you are involved in real-world Roman Gladiator reenactment events, you are also eligible to be recognized through the School. Join today...send your information to: lucius_vitellius_triarius at yahoo dot com, and we will post your information on this page. We ask that you do not update your own information, as there is a potential risk of duplicate information being posted.
Creating Characters: The games are a great way to learn more about Roman history through character creation:
- Pick an ancient Roman area (Gallia, Hispania, Thrace, Greece, Egypt, etc.)
- Pick a region in that area.
- Pick a tribe/town in that region.
- Research a little bit about that tribe and it's environment, culture, friends and enemies, industries, etc.
- Pick a name for your Gladiator, Chariot, Chariot Driver, and/or Wild Beast for Venationes that is reflective of all of this.
- Create a description of your Ludi character from all of this.
- When you have some spare time, do it several times again, creating several Gladiators, Chariots, Chariot Drivers, and/or Wild Beasts for Venationes. Remember, just like the real Ludi games, our NR characters get injured and even killed, then you need another one.
- As these characters enter and complete, you can improve the descriptions of them, based on their results.
- Keep all of your characters in a text file for easy reference.
- Register your characters at the Vitellian Gladiatorial School by sending your character information to lucius_vitellius_triarius at yahoo dot com, and we will maintain their career history wins and current points for the year.
Rules: Click Here for Regulae Ludorum
School Information 2760 a.u.c. - (2007 CE)Edit
Dominus praefectus: L. Vitellius Triarius
World-Famous Lanista: Spurius Mercurius Pilatus, a recent veteran and former Optio of Legio IV Macedonia
Training Address: Roma et Saguntum in Provincia Hispania Terraconensis
Recovery Facility: Grounds of the Posh Vacation Villa of L. Vitellius Triarius, Ostia Seaside
Motto: AUT VINCERE AUT MORI (Either conquer or die)
Established: 25 Ian ~ Fr. Apulo C. Laenate cos. ‡ (MMDCCLVIII a.u.c.)
Munera Gladiatoria School Entries ~ 2760 a.u.c.Edit
|I||L. Vitellius Triarius||Trypho||Munera Gladiatoria||Thraex||18|
|II||Gaia Maria Caeca||Rapax||Munera Gladiatoria||Retiarius||16|
|III||Q. Vitellius Avitus Vopiscus||Khaldun * MORTUUS||Munera Gladiatoria||Dimachaerus||6|
|IV||L. Vitellius Triarius||Scylax||Munera Gladiatoria||Secutor||1|
|V||Q. Vitellius Avitus Vopiscus||Arthmail Ansgar||Munera Gladiatoria||Murmillo||1|
|VI||Add Your Name Here!||?||?||?||0|
- MORTUUS: Deceased/Killed
Venationes School Entries ~ 2760 a.u.c.Edit
|I||Gaia Maria Caeca||Kali||Venationes||Leopard||0|
|II||Add Your Name Here!||?||?||?||0|
- MORTUUS: Deceased/Killed
Career Statistics/Historical Data (2759 a.u.c. to Present)Edit
Recorded Games: Columns below reflect the number of Past Quarter-Finals (QF), Semi-Finals (SF), Finals and Victor Finishes for Ludi Munera Gladiatoria and Venationes events. Palms are awarded for 1st place finishes in the Quarter- and Semi-Finals, for participation in the Finals, and for Victor in the Finals/Great Finals.
Historical Records File: Click Here to View
|Number||Owner||QF Palm||SF Palm||Finals Palm||Victor Palm||Career Victory Points|
|I||L. Vitellius Triarius||5||4||2||2||78|
|II||Q. Vitellius Avitus Vopiscus||2||1||1||0||40|
|III||Gaia Maria Caeca||1||1||1||0||16|
|IV||Add Your Name Here!||0||0||0||0||0|
Victory Points Calculation RulesEdit
In the Championship Series of Nova Roma Ludi Munera Gladiatoria/Venationes the Victory Points are calculated according to the following rules. Points are given in each match of 2 players. For example 8 players means 4 Quarters matches, 2 Semi-Finals matches and 1 Final match. Of each match of each level the best will be given points. In the case for advancement to the next match without a previous match (e.g., no Quarters and first match being Semi-Finals), then no points are awarded for the skipped or missing match.
|Q-Winner: 2 VP||S-Winner: 6 VP||F-Winner: 10 VP||GF-Winner: 14 VP|
|Q-Loser: 1 VP||S-Loser: 4 VP||F-Loser: 8 VP||GF-Loser: 12 VP|
- Sodalitas Munerum, An association of Nova Roman citizens interested in the art of gladiatorial combat and related entertainments as practiced in ancient Rome. The Sodalitas is formed for the purpose of staging such games in as safe a manner as possible while still remaining authentic and entertaining. To further that end, the Sodalitas shall facilitate research, the production of armor and weapons, training, staging games, and those other activities which are deemed to support that mission.
- The Roman Gladiator, Classics Technology Center
- Roman Gladiatorial Games, Brooklyn College Classics Department
- Gladiator, Wikipedia article
- Gladiators: Heroes of the Roman Amphitheatre, by Professor Kathleen Coleman, the BBC Website
Traditional Ludi of Ancient RomeEdit
March 26-27: Feriae Latinae (special religious race of champions chosen by Dominii Factionis)
April 4-10: Megalesia
April 19-26: Cerialia (Aediles Plebeii)
April 27- May 2: Floralia
June 25-26: Ludi Taurei Quinquennale
July 6-13: Ludi Apollinares
July 20-30: Ludi Victoriae Caesaris
August 21: Consualia
September 5-19: Ludi Romani
October 11-12: Meditrinalia
October 13-14: Fontinalia
October 19: Armilustrium
October 25-Nov. 1: Ludi Victoriae Sullanae
November 4-17: Ludi Plebei (Aediles Plebeii)
December 11: Septimonium
2760 a.u.c (2007 CE)Edit
KHALDUN the Dimachaerus: Dominus Q. Vitellius Avitus Vopiscus, Ludi Martiales 2760
2759 a.u.c. (2006 CE)Edit
NAOIS ANSGAR the Murmillo: Dominus Q. Vitellius Avitus Vopiscus, Ludi Romani 2759
AENGUS ANSGAR the Hoplomachus: Dominus L. Vitellius Triarius, Ludi Romani 2759
SUPERSTES the Secutor: Dominus L. Vitellius Triarius, Ludi Romani 2759
BORUS the Bear: Dominus Q. Vitellius Avitus Vopiscus, Ludi Romani 2759
SPECKUS the Leopard: Dominus L. Vitellius Triarius, Ludi Romani 2759
ANTONY the Tiger: Dominus L. Vitellius Triarius, Ludi Romani 2759